Hands Off Hartlebury Common

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition Hands Off Hartlebury Common.

Mark Fisher

#401 Re: Birch not a native species????

2011-06-29 21:15

#108: -

Birch certainly is a native species!!! It was one of the first trees to cover the landscape after the ice receded from the last glacial period.

It is interesting that those who parrot dogma about heathland seem also to be ignorant about our native species, because i have come across that ignorant assertion before!

Steve McCarron

2011-06-29 21:27

An area was cleared of trees in an experiment orchestrated by Liz Nether of WCC to show how heather would colonise the area. The trouble was that it also an area which had a large number of common lizards. I know because I would sit with my children and photograph them. Since the clearing work, no heather and the lizards have dissapeared.
FACT
Steve McCarron

#403 Re: Re: Birch not a native species????

2011-06-29 21:30

#401: Mark Fisher - Re: Birch not a native species????

Thanks mark, I was being told only recently by some pseudo conservator about birch trees and what little value they have in this landcsape. Have you had a chance to look around this site. If you get a chance, look a the pictures here

http://s1179.photobucket.com/albums/x395/stevemac2/

What we have at Hartlebury would be comic if it was not so appalling. Have you seen the article in this weeks radio times by Richard  Mabey?

Also did you see the dispatches programme on ch4 which addressed the issue of pretend conservation for cash.

This post has been removed by the author of this petition (Show details)

2011-06-29 21:40

2011-06-29 21:43

This post has been removed by its writer (Show details)

2011-06-29 21:50

2011-06-29 22:10

2011-06-29 22:27

2011-06-29 22:32

2011-06-29 22:34

Steve McCarron

#411 It's happening everwhere

2011-06-29 22:37

Saving the Cornish moors from the barbed wire.

The three strand variety, that is insidiously snaking around moors and imprisoning areas of heathland under the banner of bio-diverification. I generally aim to be upbeat and promote Cornwall in a positive way - but not this month. In fact, it's the opposite. The tourist information should read 'Welcome to the moorland compounds, you can be sure that around every bend you will be met with miles of barbed wire fencing and long horn cattle excluding you from places that once boasted being an area of outstanding natural beauty.

Hence, further to a feature on national TV with Ian Cooke, a spokesman from Save Penwith Moors, I am adding my endorsement to all they hope to achieve. They are spearheading a campaign to remove barbed wire and cattle from moors in West Cornwall which has been installed under the bio-diversity scheme, HEATH, which is a clumsy acronym for a Natural England led initiative 'aiming to restore neglected heathland landscapes in a sustainable way to achieve it's full potential for wildlife and people.' However, there is considerable evidence indicating widespread public disagreement on this method of heathland restoration, which has been implemented with apparent lack of consultation and a predetermined management plan. The usual response from the environmental 'professionals' is a dismissive attitude that the public fail to understand their policy.
barbed wire on the moor moor trampled down

The scheme covers areas of West Penwith, Goonhilly Downs and pockets of heath on The Lizard. I too have been attempting to preserve a little piece of wilderness from Natural England's madness: Gold Gothan Common is a designated SSSI, where I have delighted in it's natural state. In February 2007, a Planning Application notice was posted in the lane, which to summarise, stated that the area was to be enclosed with 1.7km of fencing and that cattle grids were going to be inserted. I lodged a complaint with DEFRA in Bristol and after considerable correspondence with the Common Land Branch of DEFRA and Natural England in Truro. the polemic received nothing other than 'management consultant speak' condescending platitudes...

Natural England's unnatural intervention.

My arguments are identical to those succinctly presented by the Penwith group e.g. cost, inconclusive case studies, aesthetically hideous, harmful to dogs, horses and wild animals. I gave up complaining in October 2008 because the wire was installed and 'managing' Gold Gothan became a euphemism for KEEP OUT... and every time I looked at the wodge of correspondence I had an urge to reach for the Vodka bottle. However, the terms of the Planning Application have been disregarded at least in the spirit of the consent, as the Biodiversity Project Manager stated 'there will be no negative impact on public access to the common'. A year on, thanks to Natural England's unnatural intervention, a small piece of Cornwall that was a tranquil haven for wildlife has disintegrated into an inaccessible wasteland. The gorse and small trees have been ripped out and left in random piles, the informal accesses have been wired across, the barbed wire is so close to the hedge the firebreak no longer exists and the ground is rutted and eroded by cattle.... and this has been allowed to happen on heathland that NATURAL ENGLAND agree is healthy!

I'm not a botanist or biologist/ecologist/environmentalist, but I am a nature lover and I have to question this one dimensional approach when there are other answers such as burning and mechanical removal of the scrub. I know this works because I have been walking dogs over this heath for many years and both of these methods have been used successfully by Natural England's previous incarnation as English Nature. Within a year the orchids were profuse, overwintering snipe had returned and buzzards and owls were hunting for prey. What are the chances of survival with the land being trampled by cattle for the next decade?

We need to be part of the landscape that nature has created and walk in freedom because the countryside is more wild and more ancient than civilised life. This bureaucratic tampering makes me uneasy - the wildness of Cornish moors is meant to be untamed. Natural England should be handling this with tact, discretion and good sense, balance and empathy - not depriving us of what is ours by right. The desolate autumn terrain, entwined with wire and puddled with mud, may be reminiscent of the Somme but all is not quiet on the western front, forces are mobilising to fight this battle. Please add your support to www.savepenwithmoors.com

Natural England's mission statement is "to conserve and enhance the natural environment for its intrinsic value and the well being and enjoyment of people"... now, that's a laugh!!
Steve McCarron

#412 kingwood common preservation society

2011-06-29 22:41

The group was formed with 24 original members: The following comments are from new members representing households who have since joined. There are additional households who have joined the group but did not want to post a comment. Last updated 7th December. Thank you all for your support.

Joined 14/11/09: Kingwood Common is a wild and free place enjoyed by many people. It must not be allowed to be taken over for scientific purposes against the wishes of a large number of the people who most use it. A way must be found to care for and preserve the Common without resorting to fencing and cattle and the felling of trees.

Joined 15/11/09: Why when we are trying to stop the destruction of the rain forest for grazing land are we turning yet more and more of our own country to grazing land! We need more wild areas, where our natural habitat can develop, grazing by cattle is not natural! Heathland may disappear but without mans involvement it would not exist at all. This craze with grazing should be resisted at all costs

Joined 19/11/09: Kingwood Common is a joy to walk in. Why would any one want it enclosed.

Joined 19/11/09: I walk my dog most days on the Common. Cattle are unpredictable, especially with dogs so it would make an existing tranquil area of great beauty potentially unsafe to walk in. Also, will the small deer be given keys to the gates to get in?

Joined 21/11/09: I walk on the common every day. I would like to keep it the way it is.I believe the fencing and cattle would be counter productive, it would discourage wildlife, the cattle will not eat the bracken but would eat the heather the conservators claim they want to encourage.

Joined 22/11/09: In an rural area, it is essential to retain some natural 'openess' - ie not have everything fenced off. There is too much control in our lives - a little bit of freedom is important to us all.

Joined 23/11/09: I haven't been to Kingwood Common very often, but I think it would be a shame for the Common and everyone who uses it if this enclosure and grazing goes ahead. In addition, I am aware that a lot of people are scared of cows, and will not enter fields where there are cows - the proposed grazing could deter many visitors. Good luck with the campaign.

Joined 23/11/09: Come on, we CAN do it!!!

Joined 24/11/09: I walk my dog on the common every day. It is a beautiful unspoilt area which will be ruined by the proposed fence and cattle.

Joined 30/11/09: The Kingwood Common is beautiful and I have been lucky to enjoy its beaut and the wildlife which is part of its existence. I don't think humans should be trying to interfere with nature ... nature will do what is best for its environment. Good Luck.

Joined 1/12/09: More strength to our elbow!

Joined 1/12/09: We at ..... strongly oppose any fencing in of the common for any reason. I recall Wimbledon Common having similar proposals which in the end lead to speculators wanting to build houses on it. Can you see Clapham Common being fence in? Regards ...... and ........

Joined 2/12/09: I am opposed to any enclosure of Kingwood Common.

Joined 2/12/09: Both of us here fundamentally disagree with the fencing in of the common, and the grazing of cattle there. Surely this is not the right answer for a problem we were unaware existed. It clearly needs expert advice, since there is a lot of conflicting information going on. There has to be a more cost-effective 'open common' friendly solution? Common land is supposed to be open, by its very definition?

Joined 3/12/09: My husband xxxxx xxxxx and I opposure the enclosure of Kingwood Common.

Joined 3/12/09: What a waste of money!

Joined 3/12/09: I would like to object to the fencing off of Kingwood Common

Joined 4/12/09: As I live directly adjacent to the common in the heart of the woods, I am, unsurprisingly, opposed to fencing the common! During the 20?+ ears I have live here, my family and I have taken great deal of pleasure from the woods and common. Leave them as they are!

Joined: 3/12/09: I have lived here at Kingwood Common since 1958 and do not want to see the common fenced.

Joined: 3/12/09: I was once many years ago a Common Conservator, this proposal was investigated throughly at the time and dropped as totally impractical. I am saddened to see it raised again and suprised. It saddens me.

Joined 3/12/09: I was once in favour of the proposal but now see it in a different light, well done.

Joined 4/12/09: Agree with the 3rd paragraph, re the proposed fencing, blight and total nonsense!

Joined 4/12/09: 6 Cows.... 4 months.... 36 hectares - someone can't add up!

Joined 4/12/09: Re our recent leaflet; I think the proposed enclosure is a rediculous waste of money not even achieving the required object.

Joined 5/12/09: I agree that the common should NOT be fenced in. The common should remain an open space.

Joined 5/12/09: We totally support your quest to prevent the fencing of the common land.

Joined 4/12/09: I oppose the enclosure of the Common. I would oppose this for the reasons you have outlined. I think that one of the amazing benefits we enjoy living in this area is the right to stroll through the commons, and I would not want to see this restricted unnecessarily. Cattle can be very unpredictable as you rightly point out, particularly if dogs are about. I join the Sonning Common health walks on occasions and only recently we were unable to walk across our usual footpath owing to the presence of curious and therefore quite dangerous young steers and had to make a detour. I hope that you get plenty of support for the Preservation Group and indeed, that the Parish Council continue to hold the line.

Joined 5/12/09: We totally support your quest to prevent the enclosure of this and other common land.

Joined 5/12/09 We fully suppot your fight to preserve your common land. We walk our dog regularly through the common and thoroughly enjoy it.

Joined In complete agreement with everything said in the recent news sheet. Fencing in the commons would spoil the enjoyment of the area for many people.

Joined 5/12/09: We support your aims and wish to see the proposal to fence the common thrown out.

Joined 6/12/09: The proposal to fence the comm to graze 6 cows must be the most lunatic idea floated in the whole of 2009. It might even get a few votes in the 2009 Darwin awards for stupidity.

Joined 6/12/09: I walk my dogs on the common and would hate to see cattle or a fence on it. The beauty of Kingwood Common is its total beauty in a world with so many rules and regulations!

Joined 6/12/09 by telephone: Have lived here for 40 years, I have had land and cattle. This idea is rediculous, why are they persuing this.

Joined 6/12/09 by telephone: I would like to join your group, have been speaking out about this proposal for over a year. They do not want to listen, I have tried.

Joined 7/12/09 by telephone: We live on the common and it seems they quote by-laws when it suits them and then happily proceed to overturn an act of parliament passed to protect the common against enclosure. There are important Health and Safety issues, re fencing and cattle. These cannot be ignored. We know of another area that was fenced as part of an 'improvement' scheme and then as the fencing deterred people using the area it was later passed as a suitable site for building houses - as they stated people did not use the area.

Joined by telephone 7/12/09: Have lived here for many years and oppose the enclosure of the common. We thank you for your efforts and good luck.

Joined 7/12/09: We oppose enclosure of the common, it will be the thin end of a rapidly expanding wedge.

Joined 7/12/09: The Common is a place of peace and tranquility. The introduction of cattle and fencing will completely alter the ambiance. The cost surely cannot be justified. Common sense must prevail!

Joined 8/12/09: I have read your circular and my whole family are in complete agreement with your comments. We have enjoyed walking our dogs through Kingwood Common for over thirty years and have also ridden along the bridleways for the same period. We are great walkers and over the years we have found that cows have become more aggressive - especially where dogs are concerned - we have presumed it is due to the change in husbandry and lack of contact with humans in general compared to days gone by. Also what paths are there will get much more churned up as all animals, including cows will tend to walk on the path rather than through undergrowth!!!

Joined 8/12/09: We would like to object in the strongest possible weay to the proposed 'fencing-in' of Kingwood Common. In our opinion, it is very much the wrong solution to a problem not that serious. The common is an area of outstanding natural beauty and to fence it in as proposed would tend to convert it from natures wonderful countryside to more like an urban park. My wife originally lived on Kingwood Common and together we have regularly walked the area for the past 50 years or so (like many, many othher people). Free-roaming cattle and dog walkers do not mix, as proven by the number of people injured over the years by un-settled cattle. If, amazingly, fencing needs to be erected, then could it not be confined to a few small individual areas, where theory says grazing would be beneficial. A better way would be to call for more volunteers to keep the Common as it has been for the past years. We are certain there would be no shortage of respondents. Alternatively, leave well alone and let the Common remain as one of natures rare un-spoilt reserves. Please let us know who we can help further.

Joined 9/12/09: An bad idea that has not been thought through nor does it seem as though the real alternatives for sustainable management of the commons been considered.

Joined 9/12/09: My husband and I and our two doggies enjoy walking Kingwood Common very much. It would be a real pity to lose the freedom, calm and peace which we benefit during our monthly few hours on the common. We oppose the plan for fencing.

Joined 10/12/09: We cannot see that there is any benefit to stocking the common with livestock. Livestock will destroy the habitat of other species both invertebrates and vertebrates. In whose interest is fencing the common? A Management/Environmental plan should be carried out - A similar project has recently been carried out for both Odiham Common and Hazeley Heather in Hampshire. see www.hart.gov.uk

Joined 10/12/09: I am totally opposed to the completely unecessary waste of public money how ever it has been obtained. If it is a trade of between a few thistles or 3 kilometres of fencing plus g then lets keep the thistles!!!

Joined 12/12/09: As a resident of Kingwood, I agree that it is wrong to enclose the Common. The whole purpose of Common land is that it is easily accessible to all. I walk a lot around our area, including Kingwood Common, and am not at all in agreement with putting cows in an area open to the public. Surely the cost of insurance against injury or death caused by cows would also be expensive. Is the next step to start enclosing other common areas in the parish??? And what effect will this have on exisiting wildlife - there are several groups of deer, Roe and Munjac who roam the area quite freely. More fences could cause deer to panic when crossing the road if cars are about and the deer cannot easily run into the woods. You have my support for your campaign.

Joined 10/12/09: I register my protest of the prpoosed enclosure of Kingwood Common. I have lived in the area all my life and it seems a shame that this common ground is going to be sectioned off and at a large cost which I believe could be spent more wisely. If it is sectioned off then in years to come private parties will then claim it as their own and it will be taken away completely from the public. All for the sake of a few cows and some maintenance!

Joined 13/12/09: This proposed scheme is ludicrous, not only will it disadvantage local people wishing to enjoy the tranquility of the common, but it is already wasting taxpayers money (DEFRA) on futile and counterproductive planning and PR exercises to support these self-serving 'experts' who seem to be seeking to justify their existence of various quangos. We do not want or need this wasteful intervention into rural life in Kingwood!

Joined 13/12/09: I oppose the fencing in of the common. I live adjacent to the common and first came to it on my honeymoon in 1962. It is a delightful place to walk and a haven for wild animals. I walk the area daily but slowly with a stick. To fence in the common with multiple gates would be a great imposition on all users. In my view the cost of the clearance of the land and the provision of grazing for cattle is totally unjustified and will lead to the nature of the common being totally destroyed.

Joined 14/12/09: We strongly object to any enclosure of Kingwood Common. It should be open access as it has been for many many years. It has been successfully managed over that time without the need to resert to (temporary) cattle and expensive fencing and doesn't need to change for the worse now.

Joined 15/12/09: I would like to register my protest about the proposed enclosure of Kingwood Common. It will be so unsightly, not to mention costly to do this and maintain it. If they need animals to graze there, how about some goats on long leashes such as they have on the continent. I agree with all your observations in your recently drop, regards

Joined 21/12/09: The proposals to enclose the common with fencing and gates will ruin this beautiful area that many of us enjoy. Other methods of maintaining the area must be explored.

Joined 28/12/09: Ridiculous situation. Possible minor advantage for a few people and a major disadvantage for many.

Joined 4/02/10: I hate any form of enclosure of common land. The additon of livestock will undoubtedly result in exclusion because I for one will not walk in a field with cows in it, they terrify me. Don't give up the fight

2011-06-29 22:54

Mike Pexton

#414 hartlebury common

2011-06-29 22:57

i have been walking the common since the 1970s and have witnessed many acts of ineptitud and incompetence and the disgracful waste of puplic monies which have more recently punctuated Ms appleton / Nether,s period in charge of W.CC supposed care of the common.until relatevntrecently maintenance of the commn has been woefully absent. and only recommenced after the inspectors decision to grant permission for fencing works.the consoltation process was a sham.
Mike Pexton

#415 Hartlebury Common.

2011-06-29 23:16

Can any one tell me how long cattle have been eating trees;gorse;bracken;bramble bushes? the only thing the cattle will eat is the grass on the common which comes and goes every yearand is not a problem of course. Of course the heather which the WCChas spent an inordinate amount of money and time trying to cultivate will go;one way or another when the cattle arrive in my opinion this whole buiness as more to do with preserving certain person's salaries and pensions.

2011-06-29 23:18

2011-06-29 23:22

2011-06-30 00:35

2011-06-30 00:59

Steve McCarron

#420 even more crap proposals

2011-06-30 01:21

Residents split over plans to fence common - Henley Standard 27 July 2009

PLANS to graze cattle on Kingwood Common have been attacked by residents.

The proposals include fencing off the land and putting about six animals there for six to eight weeks from March to May and September to November in a bid to encourage heathland.

Public consulation is taking place on the plans put forward by the Commons Conservators group and the Berkshire, Buckinghamshire and Oxfordshire Wildlife Trust.

Ann Pearce, who lives in Kingwood Common, said: “I am not very happy about it. I use the common every day with my own dogs and I do some dog walking there too. A farmer friend of mine said that dogs and cows don’t mix. The dogs can spook the cows and vice-versa.

“The other issue is the fencing. You would no longer be able to cut across the common, which is the best thing about it — you can go anywhere you want now.

“I would be happy to contribute to a fund to maintain the common. I am not sure all of the ideas have been thought about.” In a letter to this week’s Standard, Mike King, of Colmore Lane, says the fence would be more than two miles long and “punctuated at intervals by large, ugly gates”.

He continues: “The cost of enclosure will be tens of thousands of pounds which, together with maintenance costs, the cost of cattle and cost of looking after them could be better spent employing a contractor to maintain the common by strimming, as is done at present. It is a nonsense to spend all this money and blight our countryside... this attempt to enclose common land, which for centuries has remained part of our heritage, should be resisted.”

Peppard parish councillor Tony Cotton, also of Colmore Lane, said: “I think this is against the spirit of commons. They are there for people to use. By putting a fence around it you are going to make it look unsightly.”

But Nigel Wooding, who chairs the commons committee on Peppard Parish Council and lives in Kingwood Common, backed the plans.

He said: “This is a hugely important conservation project. We need to curtail the invasive growth of grasses, bracken and brambles and to continue to promote heathland plants such as heather. Kingwood Common is a rare example of lowland heath in Oxfordshire.

“The only sustainable way forward is to reintroduce grazing of which there are numerous successful examples in other parts of the country. To do this, we have to install fencing so that other animals and humans can continue to roam.

“We are not excluding anyone, quite the contrary — we are trying to encourage people to enjoy the beauty of Kingwood. We have the support of all the local parish councils, South Oxfordshire district and Oxfordshire county councils and the Chilterns Conservation Board.

A final public consultation meeting will take place at the sports pavilion in Stoke Row Road on Sunday from 1pm to 5pm.

Published on 27 July 2009

Steve McCarron

#421 And more

2011-06-30 01:26

WE ARE NOT ALONE
The National Trust, Natural England and other environmental agencies are busy upsetting local people all across Britain: here are a few instances.
ISLES OF SCILLY
MALVERN HILLS
HEATHLAND MADNESS
DON‟T TRUST THE NATIONAL TRUST: ERDDIG
THE UNTRUSTWORTHY TRUST AGAIN: CHESHIRE
ASHDOWN FOREST
DUNSTER ACTION GROUP: SOMERSET
HEADLEY HEATH, SURREY
THE GRAZING WAR COMES TO KINGWOOD COMMON, OXFORDSHIRE
CHAILEY COMMON, EAST SUSSEX

2011-06-30 01:35

I cannot believe what is happening to Hartlebury Common, it was once a beautiful natural open space, now because of so many trees being felled and the fencing surrounding it, it is vast becoming a manufactured park......my step daughter has travelled all over the world, and one of her favourite places when she comes home is to walk through the wood of Hartlebury common, and all it's diverse areas, wild and abundant gorse, heather, and trees....you could go up there and feel totally free, but I fear very soon that will all change for the worse, and there will be no surprises around the corner, just the odd long horn ready to charge or destroy the land we once loved so much.
Julia Jones

#423 Re: Re: soil erosion

2011-06-30 10:19

#399: A worried stourport resident - Re: soil erosion 

Dear Mr McCarron i would like to come to the court could you possibly tell me the date of the hearing

I have lived in stourport for 42 years and i do not want to see the beautiful common spoilt

Many Thanks

Julia Jones

2011-06-30 10:32

This post has been removed by its writer (Show details)

2011-06-30 10:33