Hands Off Hartlebury Common

Steve McCarron

/ #725 reply to 722

2011-07-09 17:16

#722: - Re: Re:

Measuring a tree that has already been cut makes your approved method invalid. I was already aware of this method My measurement might be innacurate up to a point but a I think an ordainary person can understand what I am trying to say here, roughly 150 years old.

I think you can see the ball park figures though, even if you were to deduct 50 years, the trees are still to old to be cut. According to Francis flanagan in my transcribed interview with him he states that no trees over 30 years of age will be cut. this simply is not true. Trees well over this age are the predominant trees being felled. Memebers of the public comment on this issue quite routineley and it is this sort of ambiguous behaviour which alarms not just me.

Aging trees from there physical dimensions is an accepted practice, your instruction for aging is just the first part.

1 Measure the circumference

2 devide by 3.14

3 multiply by the growth factor 5.0

4 The answer I have conservativeley is 118 years old

Regarding post 718, my point was that both habitats are prone to climate change in their own ways. The peaty, boggy areas, adjacent to worcester road benefit from water entrapment as moisture remains caught in the sub strata around it. These areas are fed from moisture travelling through permiable sands that then encounter less permiable bed rock stratification, which coursing water moves over, which in turn keeps these places moist and viable.

The common is being de-wooded which will result in a drier enviroment as moisture evaporates. Global climate change impacts supports this notion. No matter how much rain there is now, because of the nature of our stormburst, intense heat, wind cycle which are now a feature of our climate and indeed this summer there is widespread drought.

Also the common will be more prone to fires the same as the widespread fires that have occured throughout this year so far. They have all started on heath, or converted land.

There is already plenty of habitat on the common for these species already. Sand wasps are abundant on the pathways just as much as in the wilderness areas. Ironically, one particular area of the common had an abundance of common lizards until it was subject to "Improvement" The lizards are not there anymore, it is now an area of disturbed habitat.

Why is your justification for tree removal based on what is happening in Scotland? I was answereing a question which suggested that tree felling was a neutural carbon enterprise, I was pointing out that it is not, if you read what I said. I made the point about Co2 because it is true and in another time and place you might be telling me so. What is happening in Scotland has got nothing to do with this discussion.

I quote Worcetershire county Council, "The common was cleared of woodland 4000 years ago for agriculture, unfortunatley, the common was unsuitable and so became a wilderness" What did these people use , chainsaws? Were they really that stupid. This is pureley conjecture. The gullies could be grazed by mountain sheep yes, but its cattle that are being introduced. This is accepted thinking, not feral goats or sheep. They have never been mentioned before by anyone.Do you have anything to say about the contradiction of free grazing given the potential loss of valuable plants and species.

Why would anyone what to clear out difficult areas such as in these gullies flys in the face of logic current evidence and history of prehistoric settlers and their recources. For you to say the damage is not as "Bad as you say", is really niether one thing or another. The situation is worsening daily and if I caused similar damage in my sphere of expertise I would be sacked or issued a summons.

The RSPB advise that work on trees, shrubs and hedges should be limited during the period mid March to
early August, while removing a hedge entirely should be avoided completely. Also, if you look here

http://www.devon.gov.uk/woodlands.pdf

there is reference to TPO's and there speacial protection as both the largest oak trees were definatley subject to elevated protection. Where has it gone, evaporated?

As always, it would be a pleasure to meet you at the common and to take a walk around together.

Steve McCarron